- Shripriya Kalbhavi of San Jose, California, a 9th grader at Lynbrook High School, will receive a $2,000 prize for developing EasyBZ.
An Indian American teen from San Jose, California has won second place at the 2023 3M Young Scientist Challenge, the nation’s premier middle school science competition. Shripriya Kalbhavi, a 9th grader at Lynbrook High School will receive a $2,000 prize for developing EasyBZ, a cost-effective microneedle patch that allows for self-automated drug delivery without pills or needles.
The first place prize of $25,000 and the prestigious title of “America’s Top Young Scientist,” went to Heman Bekele of Annandale, Virginia, for his compound-based Skin Cancer Treating Soap (SCTS).
In a blog on the 3M Young Scientist Challenge website, Kalbhavi says she entered the 3M Young Scientist Challenge because she wants to help change lives. “Scientific research and innovations have always interested me, and I find the scientists, especially doctors, all around me to be extremely inspiring because they work to help people every day,” she said.
The young woman hosts a podcast called “Famous Personalities,” and as part of the theme of her show, she researches women scientists and speaks about their lives, achievements, and research. “I want to gain experience and advice from a mentor to help improve people’s lives with my invention, BZ reaction-automated microneedle patches, by making their medication painless and more affordable, so that is why I entered the 3M Young Scientist Challenge.”
In 15 years, she hopes to fulfill her dream of becoming a practicing neurosurgeon, she said in the blog. “I have always felt a calling towards contributing to my community in the field of medicine, especially when it comes to neuroscience and women’s health, and I would love the opportunity to perform precise work as a neurosurgeon.”
Along with Kalbhavi, five Indian American teens won the top 10 spots in the competition. They each receive a $1,000 prize and a $500 gift card. They include:
- Anisha Dhoot of Portland, Oregon, a 9th grader at Westview High School in Beaverton School District.
- Ishaan Iyer of Rancho Cucamonga, California, a 6th grader at Day Creek Intermediate School in Etiwanda School District.
- Anish Kosaraju of Saratoga, California, a 9th grader at The Harker School in Campbell Union School District.
- Adhip Maitra of Oviedo, Florida, a 9th grader at Oviedo High School in Seminole County School District.
- Shruti Sivaraman of Austin, Texas, an 8th grader at Canyon Vista Middle School in Round Rock Independent School District.